Saturday, October 20, 2007

Hot Brie Kisses with Homemade Red Pepper Jelly

We really aren't appetizer people. When we go out, we usually order salads instead. Yes, that is a little boring, but we have had some great salads. :) So when I think about appetizers to use at home, I really have a specific thing in mind: finger food, not a dip, and not hard to make. Oh, and not seafood. I went way over my seafood quota last week. This really doesn't leave a whole lot for appetizers. I pulled out one from the first CLBB cookbook that I have made once before. The original author says she uses apricot preserves instead of the pepper jelly, but inasmuch as I have a bounty of hot peppers, I decided to make homemade hot pepper jelly as well.

It has been a busy week!

Hot Brie Kisses

- Thaw store bought puff pastry according to package directions.
- Unfold carefully.
- Cut into 16-18 squares.
- Put each square into the cup in a muffin tin.
- Place a 1/2" piece of brie cheese on pastry followed with 1/4 tsp of hot pepper jelly.
- Fold up pastry around cheese and jelly.
- Bake at 400 for 10 minutes

Truth be told, I only made 6 and froze the rest unbaked in the muffin tin. I will take them out frozen and put in a plastic bag, then just bake them when an appetizer emergency arises. I don't think you are suppose to do this but I have done it before with good results.

This isn't the best picture, but here they are:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


The jelly was easy, but hard at the same time. I think I was just stressed about the canning, but thankfully, I heard the popping of the jars sealing after I was done. I guess that whole physics thing works! The best part is that I have 8 extra jars for Christmas presents this year. Woo-hoo! When you open the jar, it just smells incredible. The jelly did not end up too spicy, but it is a little sweet in my opinion. I would use less sugar next time.

Red Pepper Jelly - from CLBB

20 hot red peppers
4 red bell peppers
2 cups white vinegar
10 cups sugar
2 bags liquid pectin

- Remove seeds of peppers and chop fine in a food processor.
- Combine vinegar and sugar in pot and bring to a boil.
- Add peppers and boil for 10 minutes.
- Add pectin.
- Boil 1 more minute
- Ladle into clean hot jars.
- Put jars in pot and cover with water.
- Boil for 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool on flat surface. As they cool you should hear a pop sound. Yield. 8-8oz jars and 2-12oz jars.

4 comments:

Robin said...

Wow, you made your own jelly????? ... as far as I'm concerned ... you win this month! I remember attempting these hot brie kisses once .. but I didn't feel my dough cooked completely ... but I thought it had potential. I used one of those "new-tech" silicone demi tasse ... I have to say I don't think the silicone forms are all that great. I haven't had great success with them. I would like to try this one again.

KristiB said...

I'm impressed!

I make these but I buy the pre-made phylo cups and jarred pepper jelly.

I suck. I haven't entered this challenge.

Yet.

wirrek said...

Ahhh, I really don't mean to be an overacheiver. I just had so many red peppers and I already have a ton drying all over my kitchen. The 20 I used for the jelly really hardly made a dent in what I picked that day.

There is still time Kristi!

KAJ said...

I hope to see some of this pepper jelly come in the mail or something!! I also hope you make some of these the next time I in town...and the truffles too! All I got was store bought cupcakes...man.

Jokes! There isn't really a winner each month right?