Monday, October 8, 2007

Desserts! Apple Crisp


One of my favorite desserts for the fall is an apple crisp. I have made it for many a dinner party and it always gets really good reviews. I am going to go ahead and say that I like it better than pie. It is certainly easier to make than pie, and more fun to play around with. I have three recipes that I work off of, and the final product depends on what I have around and what I feel like. Here is tonight's version:
- Peel and slice ~7 cups of apples, cut slices in half (I used a variety apples from North Carolina...not sure the kinds, they weren't labeled).
- Mix apples with 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 1/3 cup Amaretto. Put apple mixture in 8x8 pan coated with cooking spray.
- Combine 1/4 cup whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup AP flour, 1/4 cup oats, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 granulated sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/3 cup butter (cut into small cubes) in a bowl. Mix well with your fingers until crumbly. You can use 2 knives or a pastry blender, but I like my fingers. Add 3T chopped walnuts
- Sprinkle flour mixture over apple mixture.
- Bake at 375 for 45 minutes.
- Serve warm with Breyer's vanilla ice cream.

6 comments:

Mel said...

what is AP flour?

wirrek said...

All-purpose flour. I am just a little lazy when I have to type up these recipes myself.

KAJ said...

WOW!! This looks great!!

Do you have to use Breyer's or are you hoping for a kick back?

wirrek said...

Well, you could not use Breyer's, but it won't be as good. I guess homemade ice cream will work if Breyer's isn't on sale that week. Seriously though, skip the other brands.

Robin said...

Doesn't Blue Bell still have a place in your heart??? :)

wirrek said...

Blue bell? You mean that fakey yellow stuff? Yeah, I quit that. Seriously, look at the ingredients...Breyer's has only, milk, cream, sugar, natural flavorings.