Friday, October 5, 2007

Major Points Fall Feast

Apples - ding
Sage - ding
Winter Squash (pumpkin) - ding

I racked up the extra credit points with this main dish. These recipes are featured in the later editions of Kerri's Greatest Hits cookbook, but truth be told, I have only made them once before. This is great for a fall dinner. To start off:

Maple-Mustard Pork Tenderloin With Caramelized Apples

2 (1/2 lb) pork tenderloin
Cooking Spray
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
6 T maple syrup, divided
1 T chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
4 medium Granny Smith Apples (you granny smith haters could probably use braeburns), peeled and each cut into 16 wedges

Preheat Oven to 425.

Trim fat from pork. Place pork on broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Combine mustard, 2 T syrup, rosemary, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Brush over pork. Insert meat thermometer into thickest park of pork. Bake at 425 for 25 minutes (um, or more) until thermometer registers 160.

While pork is baking, heat a non-stick skillet over medium high heat until hot. Add apples, and saute 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Reduce heat to low and add 4 T of maple syrup. Simmer 10 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring occasionally. Cut pork crosswise into slices; spoon apples over pork.

*I thought this one was pretty good. I love the flavor of the pork. The apples ended up way to sweet, I would just saute them in some butter, maybe add some apple juice to the pan. Very impressive presentation.


My sides were steamed green beans and pumpkin-sage polenta. The pumpkin gives this a really neat color, but you can't really taste it. I loved the hint of sage mixed in.

Sorry there are no pictures. I arranged everything neatly, held my camera up, and poof, battery died. I hate that!

2 comments:

Robin said...

I haven't been able to look at the blog in a few days. Apparently, the "apple pie" virus crossed the Atlantic and took out all three of us at once. I'm just now getting my appetite back. I have to say, sick or not, pumpkin sage polenta sounds incredible. I must have missed that one in the book ... I'm going to take another look. The pork loin sounds wonderful as well.

wirrek said...

I am so sorry you got the virus! I am the only one to have escaped it so far...knock on wood. The polenta recipe is probably in the meat section on the same page as the pork recipe. Sorry, I guess I was a little lazy.