Thursday, October 25, 2007

What kind of soup is this?

Ever since this month's challenge has been announced, I knew I wanted to make some sort of butternut squash soup. I had to wait until the last week because it has just been too freaking hot. Tuesday started off rainy and foggy so I went ahead with plans to make this soup. I found a recipe for Winter Squash Soup in my Barefoot in Paris library book that sounded exactly what I was looking for.

To start off, I sauteed 2 cups of onions in 1T butter and 1T olive oil for 10 minutes. I added 1 cracked garlic clove about 5 minutes in. Then I added 1 can pumpkin, 1-1/2 pounds cubed butternut squash, 3 cups chicken broth, 1/2 tsp pepper, and 2 tsp salt and simmered for 20 minutes. I allowed this too cool. Oh, okay, my son woke up from his nap and it was a couple of hours before I could get back to it. I processed it in a food processor, put it back in the soup pot and added 1 cup half and half and 1 tsp sage and heated back up. To serve, I sprinkled a little Gruyere cheese on top.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

So, I put this in front of my husband for dinner and he wrinkled his nose and asked "what kind of soup is this?" He ended up saying it was better than he thought, but still pushed it away halfway through saying he just wasn't into it. I thought the soup turned out pretty ok, but I feel like I would have liked some other flavors in it to give it some depth. Unfortunately, I was planning on having leftovers tonight, but I hope to serve it with my salad course, so maybe that will be better.

2 comments:

Robin said...

We love butternut squash soup. I've never made it with canned pumpkin, my recipe calls for a couple of chopped potatoes instead and I've always used paprika and bay leaves to flavor but the sage sounds incredible ... I'll try that next time. Thanks for the idea.

Mel said...

I'm making a butternut squash soup tonight. I'll post if it's decent.