Sunday, January 10, 2010

Bocconcini Tomato Skewers

Now, do you know what Bocconcini is? I didn't and I went ahead and bought some mozzarella that wasn't mushy because I only look at the picture to help make the decision to try this. Turns out Boccocini are small balls of fresh mozzarella cheese The smaller ones are called ovolini or cherry boccocini. Whatever, right? I think that is what I bought?

BOCCONCINI TOMATO SKEWERS
Prep: 20 minutes and chilling

20 ovolini
2 T olive oil
2 T fresh parsley
1 T fresh chives
20 cherry tomatoes
40 basil leaves
toothpicks

1. Put ovolini in a bowl with the oil, parsley, chives, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
2. Cut each cherry tomato in half and thread on toothpick, followed by a basil leaf, then bocconcini, another basil leaf and then the other half of the tomato. Repeat.
3. This can be served immediately or chilled for 8 hours.

I made 9. They were delicious. I like that they were a relatively healthy party appetizer. They are impressive as well. Only time consuming threading them all:)

1 comment: