Saturday, January 30, 2010

Rice Paper Roll Ups with Shrimp and Herbs

Remember the Hot, Sour, Salty, Sweet challenge? Well, my dad, who actually spent some time in Vietnam, spent a lot of time looking at my book, lovingly reminising about Fish Sauce, and I got the impression he REALLY wanted me to make this recipe. Unfortuately, I was newly pregnant. I think I did well with this challenge, but I wasn't really into it. I never got around to making this. I always felt bad that I never made my dad's one request. With this new challenge, I had a second chance. So, I invited my parents to dinner. I told my dad what was on the menu and he seemed really excited.

Making these were a little time consuming, but it really wasn't that bad. You just had to get everything ready in advance.

Photobucket

That was almost everything. You soak the rice paper wrapper in water for like 20-30 seconds until it was soft and then place on a damp towel. Then take some cooked rice noodles (about 2T), some blanced bean sprouts (also 2T), and then a little grated carrot salad (grated carrots, rive vinegar, and sugar - 1tsp). Sprinkle on a few mint leaves.
Photobucket

Then start folding the rice paper over the filling. Add 2 shrimp that have been split in half lengthwise. Contine folding.
Photobucket

Add some chives into the crease and then some cilantro. Continue folding.
Photobucket

I got about 12 which I cut in half.
Photobucket

Photobucket

I served it with the Vietnamese must have table sauce.
Photobucket

I served it with the Vietamese Beef Ball Soup from the same book. My dad liked it, but it turns out he wanted to FRIED spring rolls. Oops. Hey, it is the thought that counts.

Photobucket

I thought these were awesome: so fresh and tasty! Not sure how this will go over at a party until you know your guest well. I think I may skip the shrimp next time and just add more rice noodles.

Oh, and James wanted me to take a picture of his plate. He has been eating SO GOOD lately.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Robin said...

Wow ... this is quite an undertaking to make .. I'm impressed! They look great!