Thursday, November 8, 2007

Cellophane Noodle Salad with Oyster Mushrooms(Pg144) and Classic Vietnamese Spring Rolls(Pg274)

So, I Finally got my book in the mail! I guess that is what happens when you buy it on Amazon. Brian DID NOT like the salad. I was very weary at first, but I enjoyed it:) The spring rolls weren't stellar either, but that is probably my fault as well. The had to sit in the fridge for almost 4 hours and the oil wasn't hot enough and I pierced the paper... The meal was good in my opinion, but I only got a hang of rolling the spring rolls on the last couple. There is no such thing as rice paper that is too wet, but it is difficult to work with when it is not wet enough.

We also added more red pepper to the must-have table sauce(Pg 28)...Brian also added extra sugar. I think after some fine tuning these recipes will be delicious. I really enjoy how the book tells you to plate the dishes as well as how to make them :)

3 comments:

Robin said...

This looks really good. I'm so impressed you attempted the spring rolls! I've been dying to, just need to get my courage up. It's so interesting to see which recipes everyone chooses. The noodle salad is another one I had overlooked but sounds wonderful. I think my problem is that I get lured by the pictures in the book and tend to follow those recipes!

wirrek said...

Cool! I did see that noodle salad, but wrote it off for some reason. I probably thought Mark would hate it. Good for you for doing the spring rolls. It is on my list, but I always hate deep frying. I am just not good at it!

KristiB said...

It took me a while to master spring rolls. My Cambodian sister in law rolls them perfect every time and she gave me lessons. Hers are still prettier than mine though.

I did post some really good summer roll(not fried) recipes on the Cooking Light board if you want to use up your papers and get some practice.

Link is HERE