Friday, November 16, 2007

Shan Salad With Cellophane Noodles and Ginger (pg 145)

Also, Grilled Chicken with Hot and Sour Dipping Sauce


I have most of a head of napa cabbage leftover from the Vietnamese Chicken Salad I made last week. I went to the index of HSSS specifically to find another recipe to use it in, and this Shan Salad looked like a good one to try.
This salad does have a lot of steps, but they are all pretty easy and it works well if you want to do an alternative to plain rice for a grilled meat dish. A few notes: I actually found dried shrimp at this little store here in town, but wasn't brave enough to use as much as it called for. I used half and you couldn't taste it at all. Like fish sauce, it smells terrible, but it must all work out in the end. I also got the cellophane noodles from the same little place, and wasn't at all sure they were what I was looking for. They were a little heartier than what I had seen in the grocery store, but I think that worked out well in this dish. I followed the directions on the package rather than the ones in the book. All in all, a nice fresh tasting salad with a good balance of hot sour salty and sweet.

As for the grilled chicken. This one was a hit. I loved that peppery marniade, but the dippin' sauce was a little too sweet for us. I used boneless breasts instead of bone-in and that seemed to work out well.

No comments: