Sunday, November 11, 2007

Lao Yellow Rice with Duck


This was a really tasty rice dish. This dish reminded me of the Grilled Chicken dish I made last week because it had a heavy pepper taste (as in black pepper) ... both are Laotian influenced so that could explain it. We halved the recipe and have plenty of leftover rice and I used one large duck breast and cut it into 3 medallions then sliced a medallion each and put it over the rice. The recipe also says you can use beef with good results. Kerri, you should really try this dish ... no tang or peanutty taste whatsoever!

3 comments:

Mel said...

I have never bought or cooked duck before. How do you buy it? Is it on the bone? Do you debone it to cook? Sorry about my beginner questions. I've never bought a chicken either....just chicken breasts :)

wirrek said...

Hey Mel. I never have done duck either. I want to say that I have only seen it frozen. It is pretty fatty, just so you know ;) I also missed this one and then tried to look it up last night, but couldn't find it. I'll try again now that I know what it is called.

Robin said...

This recipe is on pg. 102 in case you missed it. This is the first time I've cooked with duck and only the second time I've eaten duck so it was new to me as well. You can buy it in its whole form and then have to cut it up or you can buy it in breasts already deboned. Duck breast has a really thick fatty layer but it was really easy to remove with a large, sharp chef's knife. In my opinion, duck is very rich and dense so a small medallion sliced up was plenty of meat for one person. I really think this dish would work well with any meat. The rice was absolutely fabulous ... only a slight curry taste ... more of a smooth peppery taste. If I had not known, I would have thought I was eating more of an Indian inspired rice dish. Also, I could not find Madras curry powder in the store but found a recipe on how to make your own. Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend until powder form:
2.5 T. whole coriander seeds (or I used 1 t. ground)
1 T. cumin seeds
1/2 T. dry mustard
2 t. garlic powder
1 t. turmeric
1 t. ground ginger
1 t. cayenne
1/2 t. allspice