Saturday, November 17, 2007

Hui Beef Stew with Chickpeas


Disclaimer: This recipe is not for those who do not like to be tied down to the kitchen. This stew took forever but was great in the end. The anise gave it a truly chinese taste ... it was wonderful. We started putting the stew together around noon and were finally ready to try it around 7pm! I ended up adding a whole extra liter of water during the stewing as I felt it was getting really dry. I would make this again but found two things I might do differently.

1) The recipe does not say to soak your dried chickpeas (if it did, I missed it) ... so I didn't. I never got my chickpeas to "practically melt" as the recipe states after cooking them for 7 hours. I really think I should have soaked them first and I probably wouldn't have had to keep adding so much water if I had soaked them.

2) Again ... I oversalted this one. I thought a whole Tablespoon sounded like a lot ... and in the end ... it was. I would cut the salt down to half and add more at the end if it needs it.

I served this with a Turkish flatbread as the book suggested and it was a nice change from rice.

2 comments:

Robin said...

Kerri, you guys should try this one sometime ... make sure it's a rainy day where you don't plan on leaving the house! It really has more of a distinct Chinese taste than Thai. It even claims this in the book that this is more authentic Chinese (Yunnan).

wirrek said...

This one does look good, but I am running out of time for this challenge!