Sunday, November 11, 2007

A Question about Garlic?


Thought I'd post this picture of my garlic dilemma. Since I'm going through a billion heads of garlic this month, I thought I would post this question. At my weekly farmer's market they have two types of garlic, one called fresh garlic which is the white one on the left (see how the stem and papery wrap is thick?) and the other is garlic or sometimes dried garlic which is always what I thought fresh garlic was. The one on the left, fresh garlic, is 3 times the price of the dried garlic. So my question is ... what's so special about this fresh garlic? Anyone up for some homework?? :)

3 comments:

Mel said...

Wow, that looks like some mondo garlic. I have no idea. I'm curious though.

Robin said...

Well, I found some info out there and apparently this fresh garlic is also known as green garlic since its stem is still intact and the white papery outside is not yet dried. Apparently, this garlic is much more mild than the dried garlic we are more accustomed to. Kristi recently posted a wonderful-looking Provencal dish on her website that I may use this special garlic for this week.

wirrek said...

I don't know about fresh vs non fresh or what not, but the purple one looks like what the call elephant garlic here. I think it is ok, but I definately like the one in the white paper better.