Sunday, November 11, 2007

Vietnamese Chicken Salad with Rau Ram - Mel style

I know this was already posted on the blog this month, but since I was told I would like it, I took a leap of faith and made it. Since you already know the recipe, here are some highlights - Mel style.

First, fish sauce smells. I mean, really smells. I made the fish sauce w/chiles and dang, it smells.

The must-have table sauce was pretty good and relatively easy to make. I don't like the fact that it only lasts 3 days and the fish sauce with chiles lasts forever. Somebody should reverse those :)

Lesson 1 - Serrano peppers can be subbed for bird peppers. I know they warn us about the capsaicin, but what the %*(#??? It totally took my breath away and sent me into coughing spells. Nice. For fish sauce. Nicer.

Lesson 2 - vietnamese coriander was subbed for basil. Wirrek mentioned sweet basil. What is that? I found basil-basil and used that. Geesh, this book is not for beginners.

Lesson 3 - Salad leftovers are not an option. Bummer. I tried eating the leftovers today, but it was so soggy I had to throw it out.

Lesson 4 - the salad itself was really delicious and DH loved it too. It's definitely a unique flavor, and it was very much enjoyed.

I am branching out tomorrow for two new recipes. They both involve lemongrass. I bought a couple of branches from the grocery store, and now it looks like a tree growing in my fridge. Twigs anyone?

I can't make 90% of the things in this book, but I'll work through the few that I can! I'll keep you posted. Please be sure to put all the substitutions in your post since I sure as heck need the additional help!!

5 comments:

KristiB said...

LOL. Make sure you peel the outer layers of your lemon grass down. When you cut off the bottome end look at it. There will be a white center surrounded by purple-ish rings. You want the white center. It's kinda like peeling an onion. Or a scallion I suppose.

Fish sauce does stink but it does really enhance the flavors. However, when it goes into a salad dressing I add it to taste instead of their measurements.

Mel said...

Whoa. I had no idea lemongrass had to be pealed. Seriously, I was just going to chop it up. Do you just use the bottom part or the whole thing? Its like 18 inches long.

wirrek said...

I think you can use the whole thing, and yeah, peel a layer or two. Its hard to tell because the whole thing it pretty tough. Mel - your comments were so funny, but I am convinced you can make at least 40% of the recipes in this book!

wirrek said...

Oh, and sweet basil is basil basil. I seriously said sweet basil? Man, extra typing!

KristiB said...

Peel it down to the white. A lot of the top will come off when you "unwind" it.

What you'll have is a pale yellow stalk.

You'll want to stop slicing when it's no longer white an fleshy. The leaves are green and woody

I also crush the slices a bit to release more flavor.