Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Shrimp and Rice Soup

I decided to make this soup in addition to the "Grilled Lemongrass Beef" skewers last night. The beef was a hit, although I would probably use a more tender cut of beef next time. The soup turned out pretty good too. For me and my DH, we thought it was a little too fishy for leftovers, but we ate what we had and enjoyed it. We will definitely make the beef again, but although we enjoyed the rice soup (very little liquid in it), it's probably seen its only opportunity.

It might sound odd, but I really do recommend the soup. If you hate "fishy fish" this is not for you. Ironically, the fish sauce with chiles was a good match. Go figure.

And BTW, lemongrass is confusing. I peeled so many layers that I had none left (they all had some purple). I eventually just threw in a bunch of stuff, including some of the greenery. Fortunately, neither of us ended up hallucinating or anything!

I think we are getting a little Thai'd & Vietnamese'd out right now. We might need some enchiladas before hitting this book again :)

2 comments:

wirrek said...

There are some really good thai shrimp soups out there. I wonder if this one would be close enough for me. I might need to take a look.

I am also a little cooked out. It was wierd, I had been craving hot and ethnic, but now, not so much. Hopefully it will come back soon!

Mel said...

I don't think I've done a good job looking for the "right" regions in this book. I'm really not as much of a fan of vietnamese as I am of Thai and Chinese. DH is the same. I need to be careful to hold off on the vietnamese dishes for now, but in the meantime, my house smells like a great little joint in Chinatown!